Here is the Top 10 list of the most visited museums in Paris (2014), attracting several million visitors each year.
According to the Paris Tourist Office there are exactly 173 museums in Paris. If the taking of photos are usually allowed (without flash), the use of tripods are always forbidden. The museums managed by the City of Paris are free for all, including Petit-Palais and Musée du Carnavalet. Most of the museums (including the Louvre) are free on the first Sunday of the month, which generates long queues…
Paris’s first museum – the Louvre – is also the world’s largest and most visited museum. The list below includes the visitor count for 2014.
1. Musée du Louvre: 9,134,612
2. Musée d’Orsay: 3,480,609
3. Musée national d’Art moderne (Centre Pompidou): 3,450,000
4. Musée de l’Armée: 1,525,030
5. Musée du Quai Branly: 1,495,817
6. Petit Palais, Musée des beaux-arts de la ville de Paris: 996,469
7. Musée national de l’Orangerie: 800,000
8. Grande Galerie de l’Évolution: almost 800,000
9. Musée Grévin: 724,833
10. Musée national Auguste-Rodin: 687,257
And the list goes on…
11. Musée d’art moderne de la ville de Paris: 588,725
12. Musée Carnavalet, Paris: 433,421
13. Musée Marmottan: 400,000
14. Musée du Luxembourg: 358,622
15. Musée Jacquemart-André: 326 126
Source: Office du Tourisme et des Congrès de Paris, figures based on statistics from 2014.