The Saint-Étienne-du-Mont Church is a Gothic sanctuary located Place Sainte-Geneviève next to the Panthéon in the 5th arrondissement.
Built between 1492 and 1626, the sanctuary was intended to accommodate the growth of the neighbouring abbey of St. Geneviève and parish of St. Étienne.
The impressive façade is made up of three superimposed Renaissance pediments flanked by the soaring belfry from the 16th century. It stands at odd with the classical architecture of Panthéon.
Saint-Étienne-du-Mont is notorious for its rood screen (jubé), the only one to be found in Paris.
Most of the church’s stained-glass windows date between the 16th and 17th centuries and those from the ambulatory and chancel are of note.
Saint-Étienne-du-Mont houses the shrine of Sainte-Geneviève, Paris’ Patron Saint, and the remains of French writers Racine and Pascal.