The garden of the Palais-Royal is the only garden in Paris classified as “Remarkable Garden” by the French Ministry of Culture. Bordered by the Palais-Royal and the adjacent arcaded galleries, the garden is a peaceful haven in the French capital, not far from the busy thoroughfares of avenue de l’Opéra and rue de Rivoli.
With a surface of 20,850 m2, the garden was created in 1633 by Pierre Desgots for Richelieu and redesigned by André Le Nôtre in 1674. Duchess Henrietta envisioned to make it one of Paris’ most beautiful ornemental gardens.
It contains some 500 trees, including four double rows of lime trees planted in the 1970s and red horse chesnuts planted in 1910.
The central part of the garden is occupied by a basin with a water jet.
The central garden has two long lawns bordered with flowerbeds designed by American gardener Mark Rudkin.
The inner courtyard and the Buren Columns
The large inner courtyard (cour d’honneur) of the palace is separated from the garden by a double row of columns, the Orleans Gallery. In 1986 it welcomed a monumental (and controversial) work of art designed by Daniel Buren. Known as ‘les colonnes de Buren’, it comprises of 260 black and white striped octogonal columns of unequal height.
The long garden is bordered by four arcaded galleries: the Montpensier Gallery (west), the Beaujolais Gallery (north), the Valois Gallery (east) and the Orleans Gallery (south).
View our Flickr album on the Palais-Royal.
Find out more about the Palais-Royal.