People from Lyon love “gratins”, and especially leeks gratin. Find out more about the recipe below!
- 12 leeks
- ½ litre of Beaujolais (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 shallots
- 2 Laurel leaves
- 60 of thick cream
- Chop off the extraneous greens from the leeks and discard. Wash the remaining leeks and cut them into medium size pieces.
- Fill a saucepan with water and put it onto boil. When the water is boiling, add the leeks and soften them for 5 minutes.
- Chop the two shallots finely and place them into an oven proof dish.
- Drain the leeks and add them to the dish. Season the whole dish with salt and pepper and mix.
- At this point you can also add ½ litre of Beaujolais, it is up to you!
- Now add a pinch of Thyme, the Laurel leaves and the garlic cloves.
- Spread the cream on the top of the leeks. Here you can also add some grated cheese!
- Put the plate in the oven, gas mark 7 (approx. 210°) and cook for the maximum of an hour.
- Check the dish frequently whilst cooking and remove from the oven when it is golden brown.
- You can reduce the cooking time if your oven has a grill mode to 45 minutes.
- This dish is best served warm. Enjoy!