The calm little Île Saint-Louis has nothing in common with its larger neighbour Île de la Cité. Named after King Louis IX, it does not include great monuments except for a few Hôtels Particuliers. Nevertheless, the island is valued for its beautiful quays surrounding a peaceful residential district in the heart of Paris.
About the Île Saint-Louis
With an area of 11 hectares the island is smaller than the neighbouring Île de la Cité. It has the shape of a parallelogram of 525m by 250m. The longest diagonal (from the Place Louis Aragon to the square Barye) is 700 metre long.
There are some 2,500 people residing in the island, called ‘Ludovisiens’ (m) and ‘Ludovisiennes’ (f).
The Île Saint-Louis is linked by two bridges to the Left Bank (Pont de la Tournelle and Pont de Sully) and three to the Right Bank (Pont Louis-Philippe, Pont Marie and Pont de Sully). One bridge (Pont Saint Louis) connects the island to the Île de la Cité.
A bit of history
Before being laid out in the 17th century, the natural island was called Île Notre-Dame.
The island was given to the bishop of Paris by the King Charles the Bald in 867 who turned it as a pastureland for the grazing of market cattle and served as a storage place for stocking wood.
In the 13th century when the rampart of Philip Augustus was being built, a channel was created as an extension to the wall. The western part of the island kept its name while the eastern part was renamed Île aux Vaches (Cows’ island).
The two islands were reunited in the 17th century when a major urban planning was launched by the king. Christophe Marie, General Builder for Public Works, filled in the ditch and proceeded with the housing development. The first houses were built on the island in 1640 and by 1664 the entire island was covered by buildings, including many hôtels particuliers.
The architect worked on tracing streets at right angles. A long central axis crossed the island from east to west and took the name of rue Saint-Louis-en-L’Île. The island was bordered by four quays: Quai d’Anjou, Quai de Bourbon, Quai d’Orléans and Quai de Béthune.
A great number of townhouses (or small palaces) was designed by renowned architect Louis Le Vau (1612-1670) who had his family set up there. Contrary to townhouses in the Marais that were oriented towards an inner courtyard, the dwellings on the island were opened towards the outside with windows and balconies looking out to the Seine.
A couple of bridges were created to link the island to the Left and Right Banks: Pont Marie (1635), Pont de la Tournelle (1656). In 1630 a bridge was inaugurated between the island and the Île de la Cité: Pont Saint-Louis. Since its creation, it has been rebuilt six times.
In 1725 the island took its current name after Louis IX – also known as Saint-Louis. Legend has it that the king would have come regularly to the Île aux Vaches to pray. There he would have taken the cross with his knights in 1269 before participating to the Eighth Crusade.
Île Saint-Louis: Heritage
Unlike the Île de la Cité, the Île Saint-Louis does not have famous monuments. However there are a few interesting places and sites to discover…
The Hôtels Particuliers
The Île Saint-Louis is renowned for its townhouses or hôtels particuliers. Most of them have been built on the banks of River Seine. The three main ones are:
- Hôtel Lambert
- Hôtel de Lauzun
- Hôtel Le Vau
Church of Saint-Louis-en-L’Île
The island includes one parish church: Saint-Louis-en-l’Île. Designed by architect François Le Vau, it was built between 1624 and 1726 in Classical style. The curious campanile is 30 metre tall and has the shape of an obelisk. The inside of the church is decorated in Baroque style.
The little shady square of Place Louis-Aragon at the north-western tip of the island is a beautiful spot for photographers. It opens onto a romantic view of the banks of the Seine with Notre-Dame in the distance. In 2012 the square was named after writer Louis Aragon and a street sign includes a few of his lines referring to the Île Saint-Louis:
Au cœur de la ville
Où tout est tranquille