Use the best quality chocolate, eggs and butter you can … you cannot cut corners with a chocolate cake … it is only as good as its ingredients! This flour less chocolate cake is simply a moist, rich chocolate cake that will always impress! Dress it up or down depending on the occasion. Decorating tips are below but be as creative as you like.
- 200g 70% dark chocolate (lindt works well)
- 175g unsalted butter at room temperature. softened
- 125g soft brown sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 100g 70% dark chocolate
- 50g unsalted butter
- Heat the oven to 150º C grease and line a 25cm cake tin.
- In a bowl over a saucepan of bowling water (a bain-marie) gently melt the chocolate.
- In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter and sugar until creamy (use an electric whisk if you can),then add the egg yolks, melted chocolate and ground almonds.
- In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until very stiff, gradually fold half into the chocolate mixture using a large metal spoon, then the other half.
- Pour it into the cake tin and then bake for 35-40 minutes depending on your oven.
- The cake should still be soft in the middle but firmer around the edges.
- Leave to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the tin.
- To make the icing melt the chocolate and butter in a bain-marie then carefully pour over the cake. Decorate as you wish (see tips below).
This cake tastes better the next day!
We made a chocolate flower to go on top but you can leave it plain if you prefer – make sure the chocolate icing is almost cool before adding decoration.
To make a chocolate flower: melt 50g chocolate with a knob of butter and spread a thin layer on a plastic chopping board or marble, when cold and set use a large knife to go underneath and make a strip that you can roll into a flower / chocolate curls or other creative form!
Other ideas … a big pile of mini Easter eggs for Easter, a mesh of caramel/ formed into a basket / fresh flowers / smarties / pipe a message / pile of strawberries / mini coloured macaroons/ fabric ribbon tied around the outside … or a little shake or icing sugar always works wonders!